Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Gantry - Album Artwork

Hello good friends. Though it has been a while since the last post, I think it is with good reason. I have recently been asked by my good friend Kevin Goldhahn to do some illustration for his band's album cover. My response? Of course.

Kevin is a guitarist and vocalist for the group The Gantry. You can check them out at www.thegantrymusic.com . You can also follow them on Facebook, and Twitter.

The project started out with some phone calls, discussions, and finally some concept sketches, which Kevin posted to get feedback on. These were the sketches as supplied.

(Click to enlarge)




Kevin took the sketches back to show the band and told me that we'd be in touch after he got their feedback. Not a problem. A few days went by, and I assumed I'd be hearing from them soon. When I finally did, we had a couple of minor changes / adjustments to make, but I got the go-ahead from them for the full illustrations. They then asked if I wouldn't mind doing the layout for the packaging of the CD as well. Again, I said "no problem" and set to work. Here are the final illustrations for the front and back covers...




Pleased with how the illustrations turned out, I set to work on the laying out of the packaging. I know, I know, a HUGE risk considering the fact that I hadn't even gotten a final OK on the illustrations themselves. I like to live dangerously, what can I say? This roll of the dice paid off big; I sent Kevin my official "1st Proof" packet, and a text telling him "check your e-mail". Moments later, my phone was ringing, it was Kevin, and a fellow bandmate who apparently had just choked on a piece of sushi upon seeing the album art. They loved it.

So now it will be off to the printer with this one, with specs and proofs to approve, but in the meantime, here is a sneak peak at what Kevin saw that night. Remember, follow The Gantry on Facebook and Twitter to stay up-to-date as far as release dates for the new CD! 

Front Cover


Back Cover

Inside Left Cover

Inside Right Cover
Check back, I will be posting the final hardcopies here once I receive them!










No comments:

Post a Comment